Sep 5, 2012

Row Along and the Farmer's Wife Quilt

I am participating in the Bee in my Bonnet Row Along.  You can read about it here.  Anything Lori does is just too good to pass up!
She told us to choose 7 colors, about 9 prints in each color. I went to my stash and began pulling out colors and prints.  I made a discovery....I have so many polka dots!  I am going to make a conscious effort to choose more ginghams, plaids and little flowers. I have been caught up in the big, modern designs, and had forgotten about keeping my stash replenished with little prints.
These are the colors and prints I chose.


I am really excited with my choices :)

I cut out my squares as instructed, and Lori had the coolest method of sewing and cutting the squares.  You will have to take a look at how she did it.
Two squares out of each color, times two.


Here is my first row, I love the colors!!!
It's scrap happy :)


Over a year and a half ago, I began the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along. 
I showed you my blocks in a former post, here.
I finally finished sewing the sashing between the blocks.  I have never sewn blocks on point before, and had to redo quite a few of the yellow triangles.  I had cut off the seam allowances and it would have looked terrible so I bit my lip, ripped out the yellow triangles I had sewn, cut larger yellow rectangles, and had enough fabric for seam allowances.  I attached the border and now I just need to find some fabric for the back.


The border is red with what else, teeny little white polka dots! 
Remember that I said I have a lot of polka dots!!! 
I can hardly believe that the top is finished :)


post signature



4 comments:

  1. Your Farmer's Wife top is wonderful, can't wait to see the completed quilt! Your new project looks like it's going to be a very "happy" quilt with the lovely colors and prints! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your FW! That has been a wonderful work in progress. I'm not able to join Lori at this point, but might be able to add things in later. We'll see. I'll be watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I read your post a week ago and you said anything Lori Holt just can't be passed up. You talked me into starting her row along and Im so excited!!! Do you see how adorable row 2 is???? Thank you for this Post Cynthia. What fun we'll have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So lovely! I am starting a Farmer's Wife quilt now. Did you have any trouble with the points on any of the blocks? I am finding that some of my points on stars and such are being cut off a bit so they are not as "pointy" as a like. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete