Jan 26, 2015

AYOS and a little bit more - Kaleidoscope mini tutorial


Our challenge for the month of January, was to follow this tutorial by My Rainboots are Red, for a Kaleidoscope mini quilt.
I bought the Kaleidoscope smart plate ruler from Sharon Sebrow.
Sharon sent me a bonus quilt, which was really nice!


I made lots of half square triangles with my pretty scrappy fabric.
Do you notice my design board?
I use them all the time!
Lori Holt has a tutorial on her blog, Bee in my Bonnet.
You can make them in any size you want :)


This is what the ruler looks like. (ignore my legs...)


I cut and cut and cut...


 One of my blocks was imperfect, but I kept it.
I thought it might add some extra interest :)


I don't know if this is normal or not, but my corners were all cropped a little bit.


I love this cute little block!
I sewed a triangle to each of the 4 corners to form a square.
Forgot to take a photo of that step...sorry.



Yay, my squares are all placed and ready to sew together!


I enjoyed machine quilting with my walking foot.
I realize that some of my low volume fabrics weren't pale enough to stand out as much as they should.


The mini measures approximately 21" square.
I used it to decorate the table during my lesson at church, and some of the young women noticed it!


I backed it with a Japanese hexagon print, and the binding is a bright pink that I pulled from one of the scraps.
The tutorial was excellent, I think I would have been lost without all the wonderful photos.
I really enjoyed this technique and am anxious to make something else using it :)

post signature

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little colorful table topper. Reminds me so much of those Kaleidoscopes we had as a child. (Now I'm aging myself) - where you could look through and after shaking them up - they would make beautiful designs - due to the mirrors and colored objects in them. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sigi G that does remind me of the Kaleidoscopes we had as kids. That ruler scares me a bit...LOL Wonderful table topper - once again Cynthia you amaze me with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really turned out adorable...it's so cheery!! I will have to give this one a try too...Was the ruler fairly self explanitory? I can hardly sew fast enough on all this fun stuff now that the football quilt is out of here! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your bright beautiful version!

    ReplyDelete