Jan 13, 2014

Lined Fabric Basket Tutorial


I love scraps of fabric and I love fabric baskets.
I made a pink scrappy fabric basket, and am sharing the tutorial with you.
I used the "quilt as you go" method.
I found the tutorial for that on Pinterest, here is the link.
I'm plannig on making Amy Butler's Weekender Travel Bag using this method of quilting :)
Thank you "Oh, Fransson!"

I cut a piece of muslin (or any other fabric you would like for your backing - it won't show) and a piece of warm and natural batting, 13" X 17".
I added scraps of fabric, following the tutorial above, for "quilting as you go".  
Here's my completed piece of quilting.


I trimmed the above piece and subcut it into 4 rectangles, measuring 6" X 8" each.


I cut another piece of muslin and warm and natural batting, 
8 l/2" X 8 l/2".
I quilted it and trimmed it to an 8" square.
This square will be the base of the basket.


Next, sew all four rectangles together, using a l/4" seam.
You will have a square of pink quilted scraps :)


Sew the base (8" X 8") to the square.


Now cut your lining, an 8" square, and 4 rectangles, 6" X 8".  
I also cut Pellon interfacing in each of these measurements and ironed them to the wrong side of the lining.


I used this Pellon, which adds lots of body to the basket.


I sewed the rectangle lining pieces together and formed a square.


I sewed the 8" X 8" base to the square, making sure to leave a 6" opening to allow for turning.


I left the 6" opening in the middle of the seam.


Keep the lining with the right side in the middle, the wrong side out.
Place the quilted piece inside the lining piece so the right sides are together.
Line up the edges of the basket so they are even, and pin.
Sew around the top of the basket, using a l/4" seam.


Remove the pins and turn right side out through the opening in the lining.
Press the top edge, and top stitch on the outside.


Now you just have to close the opening in the lining.
You can pin it like this and slip stitch the opening closed by hand with a needle and thread.


Another option is to pull the lining away from the quilted basket and sew the opening closed by machine.
I chose this method :)


My completed basket!
I love it!
You can really make it any size you want.
This basket is square, but you could make a rectangle one too.
I added some pink fat quarters to my pink fabric basket.


I took a photo of my basket from every side so you can see the different patchwork.


You don't have to use your basket for fat quarters, you can use it for all of your pink scraps.


I have a lot of pink fabric!!!
 Could it be because I have 7, soon to be 8 grand daughters?
Maybe I just love the color pink :)


This fabric basket was inspired from the quilt book 
"Sunday Morning Quilts".
They suggest making a basket in each of the colors of your scraps.
Wouldn't that be fun?
This book would be a great addition to your library,
you can buy it here.

post signature

8 comments:

  1. Very cute little basket. Thanks for the tutorial :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial and I love the photos. I have the book so I have to makes these for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is super cute, ty for the tut, I pinned it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nivel and great tutoriales!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to use my scraps for this. I will be making one from my Grand's tuffet fabric for her as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well isn't that just the cutest!! Thanks for the tutorial!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the great inspiration. I followed your tutorial and made one right away. Here is my version: http://www.sunshinesews.blogspot.com/2014/05/quilted-scrap-fabric-basket.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,
    What a great, well-written tutorial!
    Just so you know, the page you linked to above has changed/moved, so here is the new link for you:
    http://www.ohfransson.com/all-projects/quilt-as-you-go-bag-panels
    I'm having fun roaming around your blog!
    Quilty Huggs,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete