Apr 14, 2014

My Sewing Room


This is me in my new sewing room that my husband designed for me! 
We recently moved a mile away from our previous home, and this loft area on the second floor is over twice as big as my previous sewing room.
Now I have room to lay quilts on the floor, etc.


 My paper doll quilt is hanging on the wall, and that is a drafting table that where I cut my large pieces of fabric.


This is an antique sewing machine, it might be a milliner’s machine because it's really little, and a different shape.
 I keep my antique sewing finds (buttons, bias tape, rick rack, etc) in a little wooden box on the table, along with a pitcher that belonged to my great grandmother. Below the table is a wooden pepsi crate that I use to store fat quarters.


This is an interesting piece of furniture that my husband purchased at a consignment shop. I keep all my quilting books in it, and some favorite photos on top. The basket on the floor holds some of my WIP projects.


I love the storage pieces of furniture, the tall pieces have display windows on top and hidden storage on the bottom.


I made a fabric pennant banner and a pom pom banner to hang over the window.


Here’s a closeup.


Behind my sewing table is a lot of fabric, mostly in half yard and 1 yard increments. I try to keep it neat and tidy and it’s easy to choose a piece of fabric when I need it. The storage boxes on top hold odd pieces of fabric which are organized by color.


This red chair is so comfortable and it swivels. I can sit here and do handwork, and when my husband comes upstairs to visit me while I'm sewing, this is where he sits.
The quilts hanging over the railing are waiting to be quilted.


This is a side view of my fabric shelves.


This is my brand new sewing machine, I love it! It’s a Bernina 750 QE and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to sew on another sewing machine again. My favorite brand of thread is Aurifil.


This is a closeup of my photos. Me, with three of my grandchildren, my wedding photo, with a Photo Booth slide of my husband, son and I at the California State Fair. The little photo frame is me and my brother when we were small.


This is a close up photo of my cross stitch which won first place at the county fair, many years ago. I love the cross stitched quilt on the brass bed. It symbolizes me as a mom when my children were young. Lots of chaos at times!!!


This is a beautiful cross stitch that my daughter Rebecca made for me. I love it because she spent many hours making it for me and that makes me feel loved and special :)


This is a beautiful poem that my dear friend Joni Hilton, an author and playwright, composed and gave to me. The mat is covered by an antique quilt. I cherish this gift, Joni really put her heart into it and personalized it for me!


This is a closeup of one of the shelves in the tall piece of furniture. My vintage Nancy Drew books that I collect, a beautiful child’s book about quilting, and a music box sewing machine that plays “Buttons and Bows”.
On the middle shelf is a mason jar holding my washi tape collection, a mini Boyd’s bear, sitting on top of “wishes” tickets, and a cute Altoid tin. On the bottom shelf are more fat quarters and my collection of twine in lots of different colors!







This shelf sits above the TV, under the window. Some of my favorite fat quarters are displayed here, along with two beautiful fabric strawberries that my friend Joanna made for me. Woody belongs to my youngest son who will be coming home from a 2 year stay in Brazil, on Wednesday :)
 I have been keeping it for him, because I enjoy having a memento of him in my sewing room.



My husband purchased this clock when he designed the room. I love it and have no trouble seeing the large numbers, wherever I am in the room :)


I keep strips and squares in these clear containers with chalkboard labels. It is so easy to choose pieces for a scrappy quilt project from these bins. It saves a lot of time, since they are already cut to the right size.


 I have some bolts of fabric for backs of quilts, some fabric rick rack on an antique spool, and milk jars full of buttons. The brass bell used by my children when they were sick. They would ring the bell when they needed something.



The fabric “C” is for my name, Cynthia. I have a collection of Anthropologie bowls, each one is different. 
Sometimes I’ll take one out to hold some chocolate to nibble on while I sew.


My mother is a sculptor and she designed the lady quilting in a wing back chair. More pretty trims that make me happy!


My paper doll quilt is all hand appliquéd with lots and lots of hand embroidery.



This is a view of my sewing room as you come up the stairs. Lots of windows and natural light!


I hope you've enjoyed the tour!
Thanks for stopping by :)

post signature





10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful tour of your sewing room! I just love all your 'wooden' items - I am also drawn to them. I still have my mom's Singer Treadmill sewing machine - and keep joking that when the power goes out - I could still sew (if not too dark in the room). It was the first sewing machine I learned on - so it is special for that reason too.
    I was a Paper Doll Fanatic when little and your Paper Doll Quilt is just a Timeless Treasure.
    Enjoy your room and thanks again letting us have a peek into your sewing space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice sewing room. Can you please tell me where you found the light wood cube/shelves that you use for fabric storage, specifically the ones with the red boxed on top.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to have such a big space to accommodate workspaces, ironing board, storage! Those great windows for light. The loft offers openness to overlook to the living area below. And room for the paper doll quilt on the wall!!!!! What more could you ask for? The only thing I would need is a door because my sewing room would never be that tidy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your space with us! I love the industrial accents, so wonderful. I think your little sewing machine may be a Willcox Gibbs (I have my eye out to hopefully find one some day). I have some interesting information pinned about these; here is a link if you would like to learn more: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/196469602468602029/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved touring your sewing room, it's gorgeous!!!! I love the paper doll quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful room. It must be a joy to work in. I love the antiques, and the "just old" things that you have repurposed. Something inspiring to look at no matter which way you turn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, just beautiful! Love your layout! Everything looks like it is ready to use and do some serious Quilting! You have so many beautiful items! I too, quilt/sew in an open loft with lots of windows and I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great space! Was wondering what other machines you considered and why you decided on the Bernina? I am looking at that Bernina and the Babylock Unity and I can't seem to decide....would appreciate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really nice and cozy, what a pleasant room to spend endless hours in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your 'tour' of your new sewing room.Thanks. It is always nice to get ideas from others. I, like Judi. am interested in why you chose the Bernina 750/QE and what other machines you may have considered. I am concerned about the $$$--is it worth the price, etc?

    ReplyDelete